StorytellingwithData teaches you the fundamentals of datavisualizationand how to communicate effectively withdata. You’ll discover the power of storytellingand the way to make dataa pivotal point in your story. The lessons in this illuminative text are grounded in theory, but made accessible through numerous real-world examples—ready for immediate application to your next graph or presentation.
Storytelling is not an inherent skill, especially when it comes to datavisualization, and the tools at our disposal don’t make it any easier. This book demonstrates how to go beyond conventional tools to reach the root of your data, and how to use your data to create an engaging, informative, compelling story. Specifically, you’ll learn how to:
1. Understand the importance of context and audience
2. Determine the appropriate type of graph for your situation
3. Recognize and eliminate the clutter clouding your information
4. Direct your audience’s attention to the most important parts of your data
5. Think like a designer and utilize concepts of design in datavisualization
6. Leverage the power of storytelling to help your message resonate with your audience
Together, the lessons in this book will help you turn your data into high impact visual stories that stick with your audience. Rid your world of ineffective graphs, one exploding 3D pie chart at a time. There is a story in your data—StorytellingwithData will give you the skills and power to tell it!